Saturday, February 28, 2009

Rear Window (1954)

#42, undisputed


I'm a big Hitchcock fan but not big on scary movies. Hence, this is one of my favorites since it's suspenseful but not scary like other horror movies (and others of his films). I read after watching it again that it was filmed on a massive set in Los Angeles and not in New York where it takes place, which is pretty incredible considering how much happens in the apartments across from Jeffries'. Several of them were actual working apartments decorated and sized according to their respective tenants. James Stewart is perfect, with a great balance of dry humor and inquisitive curiosity. Grace Kelly is classic Hollywood over the top which is outdated and unrelatable but a lot of fun to watch (I'm not sure I've seen her in anything else but she's certainly of an era). I remembered some of the storyline but forgot certain plot points so seeing it all unfold again was a lot of fun. I particularly like how much we see (and care for) the residents of the other apartments. Since the whole thing (with the exception of one moment) takes place inside Jeffries' apartment, you get a real sense of how isolated he feels and how closely he relates to these people he doesn't actually know. Because of this empathy we feel for him, we start to connect with these other characters as well and by the end of the movie we feel the same peace he does as we see their respective outcomes. I missed Hitchcock's cameo so if you know where it is, let me know! For a simple, fun, old-timey movie, definitely check this one out.

1 comment:

Ro said...

Your a failure at this game. Feb 28th? That's when i got to MN.

Anyhoo wondering where this magical list of numbered movies to watch that you keep referanceing is.