Saturday, December 26, 2009

Goodfellas (1990)

#94, undisputed
Photobucket

Um, hey. How are ya? Remember this? I come crawling back to you, dear reader(s), on bended knee asking for your forgiveness. It's been almost a year since I last updated and I'm terribly embarrassed about it. Well, not "terribly". But a little. I made a commitment and I let you down. (Not unlike the commitment my "co-authors" made to this project. Have you seen anyone else posting a review? I haven't either.) I'd like to beg your forgiveness and renew my commitment. Can you ever love me again? In my defense, I have watched a few more in the time we've been apart. Although not technically "breaking" Rule #2, I'm bending it a little by posting some of these reviews several months after watching the films. Again, forgive me?

Goodfellas. I have to admit that I don't remember much of it. As stated above, I should follow Rule #2 more closely and rewatch it but who has that kind of time? I mean, I still have over 100 movies to watch. We need to get this show on the road! I'd like to saw that since I don't remember it well it didn't make much of an impression on me and therefore I didn't love it. But I seem to remember actually liking it. I will say that Joe Pesci is a brilliant actor, if always the same. I remember him specifically and thinking he was great in the role. This is because he is the role and he always plays the role. "My Cousin Vinny" is one of my all-time favorite movies but the only difference between his performance in this and his performance in that movie is that one is a comedy in the South (funny Italian New Yorker causes trouble in '80s Alabama) and the other is a drama in New York (funny Italian New York causes trouble in '70s New York). Surprisingly, he won an Oscar for this role which I think is well-deserved. I just happen to think he could easily have won for any number of other roles as they're not all that different. It's a Scorsese film so the film-making is brilliant. As I've seen more of his movies I've started noticing the Scorsese-isms and I do think he's incredible. Ray Liotta was pretty good, I'm not a huge fan and I think he, too, is pretty one-note. De Niro is, well, De Niro! He's brilliant in everything. All that being said, I thought it was more interesting as a "slice of life" movie, as I call them, (almost a period piece) than anything else. The story is mildly interesting but nothing Earth-shattering. I thought it was a bit too (needlessly) violent, which is also not uncommon for Scorsese. And, as I said, it didn't leave much of an impression on me. At some point I would like to see it again but for now, onward-ho!

No comments: