Saturday, December 26, 2009

North By Northwest (1959)

#40, undisputed
Photobucket

Who knew Hitchcock had a sense of humor?! Okay, maybe a lot of people did. I didn't. I'm a big Hitchcock fan and I've seen surprisingly few of his movies. For the most part (thank goodness "The Birds" isn't on this list...) I love everything I've seen. And I will admit to thinking all his movies were horror films. Apparently I was wrong and the "Master of Suspense" has some really fun not-at-all-scary movies. Don't get me wrong, "North by Northwest" is neither a comedy nor void of suspense. But it's just pure fun. Cary Grant is in all his Grant-ness in this one and it works well. The story is a little flimsy but enjoyable, nonetheless. The classic crop-duster plane scene is fun (although I admit I was waiting for it the whole movie) and the chemistry between Eva Marie Saint and Cary Grant is perfect. I most enjoyed seeing the big cities as they were in the '50s (much of the action takes place in New York and Chicago and on a train in between) although the scenes in the country home at the end were a lot of fun too. This one isn't by any means Hitchcock's best but it's definitely enjoyable.

No comments: