Saturday, December 26, 2009

Bonnie and Clyde (1967)

#27, undisputed
Photobucket

I don't get it. At all. If someone can explain to me how this movie has any merit whatsoever, I'd greatly appreciate it. First off, if there's a movie that moves more slowly let me know. I was bored in the first ten minutes. Young Faye Dunaway (almost unrecognizable) is from a tiny farming town, hunky gangster Warren Beatty swoops in and takes her away to a life of violent crime. Along the way they meet annoying Gene Hackman and annoying Estelle Parsons. They rob a lot of banks but seem to still always be poor. They finally get caught by the police and shot. Yawn. Nothing about it kept my interest in the least. Somehow it was nominated for 10 Oscars for all four of the actors mentioned (how?), Best Screenplay (how??) and Best Picture (WTF???). Estelle Parons won (I generally think she's a brilliant actress, I don't get why she won for this) as did the cinematography (this makes more sense to me although, still, snooze-fest). I'll waste no more time on this bafflingly-adored "classic".

Recommendation: don't waste your time.

No comments: